Rail Engineering Higher National Certificate (full-time)
The HNC course offers 2 specialist pathways:
o Tractions and Rolling Stock
BMet would use the Track and Traction and Rolling Stock pathways to offer a natural progression for students who complete Level 3 qualifications and allows a higher-level of understanding and knowledge of the rail industry to assist in achieving promotions and higher job opportunities.
• Students can study the HNC (Level 4) course on a full-time basis over one year or on a part-time basis over 2 years.
• On successful completion of the HNC qualification you can progress on to the Higher National Diploma (HND) Rail Engineering course or you may be eligible to progress into the second or third year of a subject related degree at a University or as part of a higher level apprenticeship programme.
• The HNC course is taught at James Watt College using industry expert and the onsite rail track and equipment.
Course Content (HNC – 120 credits – 8 units)
• Electro, Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems (Track pathway only)
• Engineering Design
• Engineering Maths
• Engineering Science
• Managing a Professional Engineering Project (Pearson-set)
• Material, Properties and Testing
• Railway Operations
• Track Design
• Traction and Rolling Stock Systems (Traction and Rolling Stock pathway only)
The Year 1 HNC tuition fee for academic year 2022-23 is £6,500. Please be aware that we intend to increase tuition fees in subsequent years using the Retail Price Index (RPI-X).