Rail Engineering Technician – WEST MIDLANDS TRAINS LIMITED
Are you inquisitive, creative and a collaborative worker? Do you believe there is no box for you to think outside of? Are you a tenacious and resilient individual who has an innovative approach to solving problems? If you said yes to these questions, you may be an ideal candidate for the West Midlands Trains Engineering Apprenticeship scheme.
15 April 2019
Monday - Friday 8:45am - 5:00pm
Total hours per week: 37.00
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Possible Start Date
Birmingham - B11 2HJ
West Midlands Trains, previously known as London Midland, now operates two new railway brands across the Midlands, the North West and London. The franchise transferred on 10th December 2017 and we are working hard to make sure there is a smooth and successful transfer of operations whilst investing nearly £1 billion for new trains, extra seats and more frequent services.
As one of our Apprentice Engineers, you’ll be responsible for servicing West Midlands Trains mechanical and electrical systems on our trains. The role is highly varied and duties can include repairing, overhauling and modifying our trains, inspecting bodywork and under-carriages for wear and tear and writing reports and maintenance records. This work will range from carrying out routine maintenance/servicing to repairing and fault finding on complex electrical and mechanical components used in the modern rail industry today.
This is a fantastic time to join West Midlands Trains and begin an exciting, rewarding and creative career as we embark on your new franchise to improve our passenger’s journeys.
Need any more convincing why an Engineering Apprenticeship with West Midlands Trains could be for you?
- As part of our commitment to improving the experience our passengers, we are investing over £700 million in new and refurbished trains making journey quicker and more comfortable
- We’re also investing £70 million into our train maintenance facilities
- We already run an industry-leading and hugely successful engineering trailblazer apprenticeship scheme in partnership with the National Training Academy for Rail (NTAR) in Northampton and Birmingham Metropolitan College (BMet)
- We’re also investing an extra £13 million on staff training
Alongside your practical and educational training, there are plenty of other activities you can get involved in. Our Trailblazing Apprentices have spoken to audiences of local and national Politicians, Members of Parliament and have also appeared on national television!
Join us and not only will you become part of a renowned group of professionals, you will also look forward to gaining specialist and transferable skills as well as a wide variety of career progression opportunities.
- Able to use own initiative when appropriate and take an active part in problem solving
- High standard of personal presentation
- Numerate and literate
- Computer literate
- Customer focused
- Polite, friendly and excellent team player
- Good communication skills
You must have minimum of 5 GCSEs grade C/4 or above (or equivalent qualifications) which include Maths, English and Science.