Apprentice Groundsperson – King Edward Vi Sheldon Heath Academy
Do you love working outdoors? Is horticulture your passion? If so, Kind Edwards VI schools have a fantastic opportunity to join their Grounds staff. This will be a great chance to grown and learn all there is to know about horticulture within a school environment. They offer a fantastic salary and benefits to the right candidates.
£17,230.00 per annum
22 April 2021
Hours: 8-4pm (Mon-Thurs) and 8-3:30pm (Fri). A flexible approach is required to the working hours. 37hrs per week in total. Days: Mon - Fri Breaks: 3o minute (unpaid) each day
Total hours per week: 37.00
Level 2 (GCSE) - Horticulture and Landscape Operative
Possible Start Date
Birmingham - B15 2UD
The Schools are looking for an Apprentice Groundsperson to join the grounds staff as part of a team of seven working across all parts of the site, together with a Deputy Head Groundsman (with responsibility for Eastern Road playing fields) and a Head Groundsman with overall responsibility for the whole site.
As part of this role, the Apprentice will complete a Level 2 Horticulture Apprenticeship.
To complete work on the grounds as directed by the Head Groundsman; this could include:
- Preparing and maintaining a variety of sports pitches and surfaces to a high standard
- Preparation and upkeep of lawns and decorative area – mowing, strimming, pruning and weeding
- Removal of litter, leaves and rubbish in certain defined areas
- Work with and maintain various types of machinery and equipment
- During winter, ensuring that footpaths and parking areas are safe for pupils, staff and parents to access – this may require early morning work to clear snow and ice before the beginning of the school day
- Unlocking and locking of ground and facilities
- Awareness of Health & Safety requirements
- Undertake other reasonable duties related to the job purpose required from time to time
Reporting to: Head Groundsman
This is a physical role so you must be reasonably fit to cope with the demands of the role, which include lifting, carrying and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
A flexible approach is needed to working hours. As well as some requirement to work early mornings and evenings, team members may be required to work paid overtime on Saturdays during the Summer term to prepare wickets prior to school cricket matches.
A full UK driving licence with no endorsements is a requirement of the role.
- Enrolment in Defined Contribution pension scheme
- Free hot lunch during term time
- Use of swimming pool and gym facilities
On-the-job training and full support in completing L2 Horticulture apprenticeship
- Good communication skills
- Great time keeping skills
- Good level of English (spoken and writing) & maths
- Attention to detail
- Able to work under own initiative
- Take pride in their work and committed
- A good team player
- Enthusiastic about developing a career in Horticulture
- 3 GCSE’s (or an equivalent) – to include English and maths at Grades C/Level 4 and above