Supporting Transition for Students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Student chefs in kitchen

Thank you for choosing Birmingham Metropolitan College. We hope you find lots of useful information about how we support students with SEND with their transition into college, during their time at college and into adulthood.  If you have any questions that are not answered please do not hesitate to contact us on 0845 155 0101* ext. 5657 – Helen Cooper, Department Manager for Additional Learning Support.

How will the college know the support needs of a young person?

There are several ways we identify the support needs for students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.  For those students who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or Transition Plan, this may be through liaison with school, Connexions or your local authority.   For those students without an EHCP it may be through interview, application form or enrolment form. There are also opportunities for students to self-refer at any point during their course.

How is the decision made about the type and the amount of support a student will receive?

Students with an EHCP or Transition Plan will be supported according to the requirements outlined in the plan. If a student does not have a plan, support will be assessed through a Needs Assessment by one of our Learning Support Coordinators.  A support plan will then be drawn up and shared with the young person and their tutors.

Will the young person get 1:1 support?

Yes, if your EHCP states you require 1:1 support.  The aim of all support is to promote and develop the independent skills of young people and prepare them for their next steps and adulthood.  At college 1:1 support is not always one student with one member of staff. It may be one member of staff in a group where several students require support and the support worker supports each as required. The type of support will be decided on an individual basis.

A young person is anxious about starting a mainstream college. How will you support transition?

The Learning Support Coordinators will arrange a personalised transition plan to ensure young people with SEND enjoy a smooth entry into college. This could include pre enrolment visits, meetings with relevant staff and taster sessions. The transition plan will be designed to meet the individual needs of the young person.

How will the curriculum be matched to a young person’s needs?

All lessons are planned to make sure each young person gets the help they need to make good progress and become more independent.  The Learning Support Coordinators work closely with tutors to ensure reasonable adjustments can be made on an individual basis.

What specialist services and expertise are available at college?

Our Learning Support Team staff are well trained in:

  • Autism
  • Dyslexia, Dyscalculia & Dyspraxia
  • Sensory impairments
  • Learning difficulties
  • Software is available on student computers to read out information on screen
  • Assistive technology - JAWs
  • Lap tops with specialist software can be made available to students who require them Sign language support SiLanguage Support Workers
  • Intimate care needs
  • Sign language support workers
  • Mentors 
  • Counsellors 
  • Scribes 

What if you do not have the expertise in college to meet a young person’s needs?

We also work closely with external agencies to meet the needs of young people as appropriate.  These include:

  • Connexions
  • Visual Impairment Team
  • Hearing Impairment Team
  • Autism Outreach
  • Speech and Language support
  • Educational Psychology Service


  • All college sites are accessible by wheelchair users.
  • Disabled toilets are available in a number of areas at all sites
  • Hoists are available for wheelchair users at some sites

What happens if a young person's 1:1 support worker is not available?

Where possible, we will ensure a replacement is found immediately. If this is not possible the designated Support Supervisor will meet the young person and explain what support has been arranged.

How will I know how the young person is progressing?

There are two Parent’s Evenings during the academic year where you will have the opportunity to discuss the progress your young person is making. These are accompanied by a report which will include a review of the support provided.  The effectiveness of support and its impact is reviewed regularly. In addition you can contact a course tutor or allocated Learning Support Coordinator (see Support Plan) at any time.

For students on entry level courses, we welcome parent/carer  in put with their personal goals and reviewing what impact their learning is having on them outside of college.  

What do I do if I am unhappy at college?

Contact your tutor or Learning Support Coordinator who will discuss your concerns and help you to resolve the issue.  We will also discuss your concerns at Parent’s Evenings.

The college has support from college Mentors and Counselling and this may also help you to resolve the issues you are experiencing.

An invite for feedback

This information is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information. If you would like to comment on the content or make suggestions for improvement of this information please email: